In this webinar, we reviewed different strategies for finding and acquiring images for your site and social media.
Included in the webinar are questions to ask yourself before choosing a photo, six strategies to build your photo library, and three common myths about photo online use. Have a question about the resources here? Email Teresa at TGorman@NPR.org.
Questions to ask before choosing and publishing a photo:
- Think of the visuals from the beginning of your reporting: what is the best way to represent your story visually?
- Can I argue the editorial relevance of the image?
- Do captions add editorial relevance to the image? They should not be used to justify the use of the image.
- Does the photo follow my journalism principles? A webinar attendee suggested reading through the National Press Photographer Association's Code of Ethics if your station does not have one.
6 Strategies to Build Your Photo Library:
- Subscription services such as AP and Getty provide higher quality photos.
- Make photos yourself. Review the elements of visual photography and storytelling webinar.
- Explore partnerships with local media, bloggers and photographers.
- Use Flickr photos that are licensed under Creative Commons.
- Search for handout photos on government and other sites. Check out some examples of handout sites at http://bit.ly/handoutexamples, and add your own.
- Search on social media and online for photos from the crowd. Also, consider experimenting with photo crowdsourcing. Review tips on verifying photos you find online.
Three Common Myths About Photo Use Debunked:
- It's okay to use anything that's online as long as I give credit, because it is public. FALSE
- It's okay to use something if I asked for permission and didn't get a response, or don’t know who took a photo. FALSE
- It's okay to use anything as long as I'm not making any money off of it. FALSE
Highlights (with video timestamp)
- 5:20 The questions to ask before using a photo
- 9:05 How to create a photo library/archive
- 21:00 Using Flickr to find Creative Commons photos
- 25:55 searching for photos on creativecommons.org
- 42:30 Tools for verifying photos online
Finding and Acquiring Photos from nprdigital