Reporting Independent Recordings

Aug 28, 2009

Just added a question to our FAQ page, that keeps coming up in various forms. It has to do with reporting the label for recordings put out by directly by artists.

Q: If we play music from a band that does not have label representation and puts out their own CD, what do we put in the Label field?

A: What SoundExchange wants in the Label field is the name of the entity that owns the copyright to the recording, which is usually a record company. If an artist puts out their own album and owns the copyright to the recording, put the artist name in the label field.

So, keep in mind what it is that SoundExchange is looking for and that should help guide you.